Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 66 on June 22nd, 2012, 3:43 am

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Cutting way back on Item Selection

For discussions related to the management of public access to Federal depository libraries.

Cutting way back on Item Selection

Postby RobLopresti on May 9th, 2011, 12:13 pm

Hmm... I seem to be the only person using this forum, but I'll say this anyway.

We are a university library and have been a federal depository for almost fifty years. We have been selecting about 50% of the items and received about 5000 publications last year.

For the usual financial reasons I was instructed to cut way back. We decided not to cut certain things (academic core, Pacific Northwest, web-based only series, high usage series (defined as any series with 10+ total circulations in the last fifteen years)).

I made a list of everything else and invited anyone in the library to recommend that something NOT be canceled... otherwise they would go. (I also chose the academic department that I thought would be most likely to be interested in each series and notified the librarian who served as liaison with that department.)

A number of librarians and teaching faculty recommended saving certain titles. The rest have all been canceled as of last Friday.

Statistics: We canceled 20% overall. We canceled 52% of tangible series (keeping the web-based only). We canceled 80% of the unprotected series. A total of 1300 items gone.

Now we will see if we discover any mistakes (we need series X!) and how many fewer publications we get next year...

Has anyone else had a similar experience recently?

Rob

Rob Lopresti
Western Washington University
rob.lopresti@wwu.edu
"Rats are gifted with charm, imagination, and generosity."-National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
RobLopresti
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Return to Access